March 29, 2009

Saturday Mar 28, 2009 : Toronto to Lima

We rumbled down the runway like a bumblebee overdosed on Codeine. (Think slow, kind of rolling side to side, and really unsure if we’re gonna fly.) The plane was packed full in every seat except the extra empty seat next to the window, which was mine – this remained for the flight. Score!
Just about an hour earlier I had strolled up to the check-in counter and upon being asked where I was destined, I replied, “Lima – Peru” making sure to roll the “r” to make it seem important, yet still keep it light-hearted coming from a visibly white guy. After a two hour flight I found myself in the temperate clime of Miami, my stopover en route to Lima.
If you’ve never been to Miami, like me, you may underestimate the extent to which the Spanish language is spoken in the place. It’s quite amazing really. I would hazard to guess that more than 75 percent of people around me are speaking Spanish. I love it. When I honed in on the closest airport café to fix my coffee craving, I almost defaulted to Spanish but caught myself just before uttering, “Un café Americano por favor.” It would have gone over just fine, as I discovered the employees were speaking Spanish amongst themselves.
And this is where you find me: sitting in Miami (mee-ya-mee) trying to stay on top of the blog which I’ve dedicated myself to for the duration of the trip. I look forward to my upcoming flight like I look forward to sitting in a can of peas for 6 hours. Nonetheless, my excitement is starting to build as I think about the next 5 weeks of shooting.

Hasta Luego Amigos!

No comments: