March 3, 2009

Dog sledding in Algonquin Park!


I recently had the great experience of going dog sledding in Algonquin Park with Outward Bound. It was absolutely spectacular! OB has an excellent dog handler and staff that absolutely adore the dogs. I was floored to see that the dogs themselves were significantly smaller than I expected them to be. I guess big heavy muscles aren't conducive to long-distance running (think endurance athletes).

In addition to this, dog sledding is definitely not a lazy-man's sport. Sure you ride on the sled on the flats and downhills, but any sign of an uphill and it's time for you to help the dogs out. Get off and push the sled and run behind it. It's a great work out, and even a better way to enjoy the outdoors. Can't recommend it enough for everyone, as it's a great way to enjoy winter.

I thought I'd leave you with a photo of the dogs from my team that day, point dogs Jazz and Cha Cha, with Fraser howling right behind them.

No comments: